BA & MA in Psychology from Washington College
10th year working for the Milford School District
Truancy – I am responsible for overall school attendance issues and to assist those students and their families who may be struggling with attending school on a regular basis.
Homelessness – I serve as a liaison to those district families who do not currently have a permanent residence in the area.
Mentoring – I oversee and support the mentoring programs throughout our district.
- If your child begins to struggle with their attendance:
1. Ask for help early.
2. Contact the school.
3. Don’t wait for the school to contact you.
- If you find yourself in need due to a financial burden resulting in your loss
1. The district can help.
2. For issues we may not be equipped to provide assistance, we can refer
you the appropriate agency.
3. Don’t be ashamed to reach out, you are not alone.
- If you want to give back:
1. We have several strong mentoring programs for you to volunteer for.
2. Everyone needs a mentor.
3. Make a difference in a child’s life.
1. Decrease Number of students currently in truancy court (77 as of 7/1/11) by:
- Increasing school attendance.
- Providing assistance for families in need.
- Connecting families with the necessary community referrals to address
- Work closely with truancy court.
- Attend statewide Visiting teacher meetings and conferences.
2. Increase parental support by:
- Assisting the parents of special education status as to their rights.
- Providing parent education to those in need for several areas:
a) Truancy laws
b) Special education laws
c) Home discipline support
d) ADHD information
- Work closely with community agencies such as People’s Place,
Delaware Guidance, DFS, and Communities in Schools.
3. Increase assistance and awareness of those who may be homeless in
our district by:
- Educating staff about the homeless laws
- Providing essentials to those in need who may be homeless:
c) School meals
d) Outside referrals
- Work closely with DOE and attend homeless trainings as offered.
4. Increase community awareness and involvement with our mentoring
- Increasing the overall number of mentors in our district.
- Assisting with the startup of new mentor programs in our buildings.
- Attend community functions to spread awareness.
- Serving on the Delaware Mentoring Council.